Internships from May to October
Our internships offer hands-on learning through real life experience in a fun and dynamic environment.
If you would like to gain direct experience of the lifestyle at La Cite Ecologique of New Hampshire, you may participate in one of our two Internship Programs.
- Interest in farming
- Interest in living in a rural area
- Must be in good shape for physical jobs
- Open minded and dynamic
- Flexible to do different task
- Enjoys team work and people
- Non smoker
- Speaks English or French
- Over 21 years old
1. Organic Agriculture
This internship is geared for those seeking a comprehensive experience with organic farming, specifically in vegetable production, (fruits and vegetables in greenhouses and fields). And, of course, you will participate in the Ecovillage lifestyle. Students in agronomy and other disciplines are welcome. Ask your university, your internship may qualify for credits.
New Earth Organic Farm is one of the largest organic farms in the region practicing eco-friendly agriculture. It provides healthy, fresh organic vegetables and eggs to the local community. New Earth Organic Farm also lends its support to the local community of Colebrook by donating vegetables to the food pantry. During this internship program you will learn the sustainable and organic methods used in the process from seeds to table.
Here are some suggested topics of study :
- Preparing the soil: tilling or not tilling, organic fertilizers such as green manure and compost.
- Caring for plants: watering, fertilizing, weeding, thinning, tying, string-weaving, tilling, mulching, specific care, compost, and mulch for specific herbs, vegetables, and fruit trees, etc.
- Pest control: companion planting and other organic methods.
- Three-season harvesting in an unheated greenhouse: the how and when to grow lettuces and other vegetables nine months a year in Zone 3.
- Information on organic fertilization, micro-organisms, ecology and soil biology.
- Harvesting and preserving herbs and vegetables: discovering a wide range of cold-resistant cultivars.
- Preparing wholesale and retail orders.
2. Sustainable Living Experience (New)
This internship allows you the opportunity to experience all aspects of life at La Cite Ecologique of New Hampshire by participating in various projects. This is an excellent internship for those with a wide range of interests or for those who want to learn more about living in an intentional community.
Overview of the activities:
- Participants assist the main businesses of the Ecovillage, Kheops International and New Earth Organic Farm
- Participants assist the Ecovillage services of gardening, cooking, cleaning, etc.
- Help in planning events
- Discussion and research on Ecovillages around the world
- Preparation of group meals
- Participants will be required to follow some of our community rules.
- The proposed activities may change depending on the season and the number of registrations.
- Possibility to visit our Ecovillage located in Quebec Canada www.citeecologique.org (for stays longer than one month)
- For participants other than US and Canada contact this organization to be part of our internship programs
- We are all French Canadians who have become US Citizens. We all speak English. However, if you're looking for a full English immersion and culture program, we may not be the best fit.
- More details are available on the application form.
- Meals: We serve delicious organic meals, mostly vegetarian, with occasional chicken or fish.
- Housing: Full equipped rooms are available.
- Stipend: This internship is unpaid. However, we are committed to offering our interns ample learning opportunities and use of our facilities including food and kitchen use for the weekly day off, access to laundry appliances, TV, internet access, pool and hiking trails.
- A minimum of two weeks is required; you may have the opportunity to stay up to 4 months, check our availability when registering.
Questions About the Internship Programs?
Please contact Leonie Brien: (603) 331-1669